Question: If a father hasn't been in a child's life for 7 years and pops up. Does he have grounds for visitation?? Answer: The father could petition the court for visitation. Many factors go into whether a court would grant him visitation - but if he is the biological parent and his rights have not been terminated, there's always that chance. Consult with local counsel to best determine a course of action.